History of the University of Georgia Chapel
Echoing the style of classical Greek architecture with its Doric columns, this elegant temple has adorned North Campus since 1832. At the time of its construction, at a cost of $15,000, it was considered one of the most beautiful buildings in the South. Replacing a temporary wooden structure, the Chapel has survived the ravages of fire and war as well as periods of neglect. During the War Between the States it suffered extensive damage, being used for target and bayonet practice. A bell tower that originally crowned the Chapel had rotted and was removed in 1913. The bell, which was once used to signal worship and the beginning and end of classes, was moved to the tower at the back of the building. Now the bell is traditionally rung to celebrate athletic victories. To this day the Chapel continues to be one of the University's most beautiful showpieces. The building was originally a center for worship, academic activities, commencements, and recitals for the School of Music. Today it serves as a meeting place, lecture and concert hall, and the scene of many weddings.
- Additional Information
Partner Thomas Burns
Please visit Atlanta.net for information on upcoming events and Atlanta convention and tour information.